The Progressive Insurance Automotive X PRIZE, a $10-million competition to inspire a new generation of vehicles capable of achieving 100 MPGe (miles per gallon or its energy equivalent), concluded its Knockout Qualifying Stage.
Fifteen of the original 26 vehicles from 12 of the original 21 teams that started Knockout testing have passed the necessary range and dynamic stability tests overseen by the competition’s testing partner, Consumer Reports. The remaining vehicles—two in the Mainstream class and 13 in the Alternative class—will now proceed to the Finals Stage, set for 19-30 July at Michigan International Speedway (MIS) in Brooklyn, Mich.
During Knockout, Progressive Insurance Automotive X PRIZE competitor vehicles had to pass a repeat of technical inspections and on-track safety tests featured in the first stage of testing—the Shakedown Stage—which took place in May. Vehicles also had to complete emissions, efficiency, and range events in which they had to achieve at least two-thirds the minimum fuel economy and range requirements.
For fuel economy, this translates to at least 67 MPGe, or two-thirds of the 100 MPGe target for both vehicle classes. For emissions, vehicles had to meet the minimum US EPA emissions standards in on-track challenges. For range, vehicles had to reach a minimum of 134 miles for Mainstream class entries (200 miles range required at the Finals Stage) and 67 miles for the Alternative class (100 miles range required at the Finals Stage).
The following is a list of the remaining teams, along with the class in which they compete and their fuel type:
Mainstream Class (Two vehicles, one team)
- Edison2 Very Light Car #97 (Charlottesville, VA) Internal Combustion Engine
- Edison2 Very Light Car #98 (Charlottesville, VA) Internal Combustion Engine
Alternative Class - Tandem (Five vehicles, four teams)
- Commuter Cars, Tango (Spokane, WA) Battery Electric
- Edison2, Very Light Car #95 (Charlottesville, VA) Internal Combustion Engine
- Spira, Spira4u (Carrollton, IL/Banglamung, Thailand) Combustion Engine
- X-Tracer, E-Tracer 7002 (Switzerland) Battery Electric
- X-Tracer, E-Tracer 7009 (Switzerland) Battery Electric
Alternative Class - Side-by-Side (Eight vehicles, eight teams)
- Amp, amp’d Sky(Cincinnati, OH) Battery Electric
- Aptera, Aptera 2e (San Diego, CA) Battery Electric
- Li-ion Motors, Wave II (North Carolina) Battery Electric
- RaceAbout Association, RaceAbout (Finland) Battery Electric
- Tata Motors, Indica Vista EV X (Coventry, UK) Battery Electric
- TW4XP, TW4XP (Italy) Battery Electric
- Western Washington University, Viking 45 (Bellingham, WA) Gas/Electric Hybrid
- ZAP, Alias (Santa Rosa, CA) Battery Electric
Team standings and vehicle performance details are available at http://www.progressiveautoxprize.org/team-central.