The Gaziantep Metropolitan Municipality (Turkey) and the Renault-Nissan Alliance have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) aimed at establishing a partnership to promote and implement electric vehicles in Gaziantep. The partnership program will cover:
- the deployment in the Gaziantep municipality of a charging network for electric vehicles which will be launched in 2011,
- the rollout of corresponding services and developments, and
- the lease of 50 electric vehicles for the fleet of the municipality's services of Gaziantep.
This marks the third MOU signed by the Alliance in Turkey: the first was signed with Istanbul Enerji, a subsidiary of the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality, and the second with Ankara Metropolitan Municipality.
A working group will be set up to:
- multiply the number of projects that could favor the use of electric vehicles in Gaziantep, especially those focused on charging networks,
- instal and develop a network of charging stations for electric vehicles,
- develop special projects for fleets, public spaces and cities, and
- analyze the regulations on installing and operating electric vehicle charging stations.
The Gaziantep Metropolitan Municipality also wishes to lease the 50 electric vehicles as soon as the Renault vehicles come to the Turkish market.